Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very good and chocolatey! I've included notes for buttermilk substitution and for high altitude baking. From Pillsbury.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup vanilla chips or 3 ounces chopped white baking bar
- 1⁄2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup chopped slivered almonds
- Heat oven to 375°F Grease 18 muffin cups. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
- In large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt; blend well.
- Add buttermilk, margarine, almond extract and egg; blend just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in vanilla and milk chocolate chips and almonds.
- Fill greased muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 375F for 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 3 minutes; remove from pan. Serve warm or cool.
- * To substitute for buttermilk, use 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice plus milk to make 1 cup.
- HIGH ALTITUDE -- Above 3500 Feet: No change.
I'm sorry, but these came out disgusting. I really don't want to be rude, but these were the most disgusting cupcakes I've ever made, and I'm always told I make really good cupcakes. They came out super dry and flaky and break apart at the slightest touch. They're also VERY flavorless. One tiny bite made my tongue dry up.