Recipe by What's Cooking?
On Sundays I cook with weekday lunches in mind, favoring big pots of tasty dishes that reheat well in the microwave at work. This low-fat, whole grain, high-fiber and vegan pasta dish is full of some of my favorite foods - Green beans, chickpeas and pasta. Mmm. Nutritional yeast adds B-12 and other vitamins and a slightly cheesy taste, though folks who love cheese can try parmesan or Romano instead. Bob's Red Mill and Red Star brands of nutritional yeast are both gluten-free. I use a Tinkyada's Gluten-Free Spirals, but you can use regular rotelle / fusilli if you prefer.
Top Review by NELady
I LOVED this dish. It was fragrant and flavorful and healthy and FILLING! I made the recipe as written, using whole wheat rotini, except I omitted the crushed red pepper flakes (small children). I actually wasn't expecting to like this as well as I did... and my 15-month-old twins gobbled up their pasta and loved the green beans.
- 2 cups fusilli (spiral shaped pasta) or 2 cups gluten-free pasta (spiral shaped pasta)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into thirds
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 -2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta in salted water until done, according to package instructions. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- In the same pot, steam green bean pieces until tender but still crisp. Add to colander with pasta.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or deep frying pan over medium heat. Add red pepper flakes, dried parsley and dried basil and shallot. Sauté until the shallot has become translucent. Add bell pepper and garlic and cook until vegetables are soft, stirring often. Add tomatoes and garbanzo beans and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and green beans, nutritional yeast, and balsamic vinegar.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve.