Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
An easy, nutritious take-along, these rice and beans pancakes are adapted from a traditional Indian dish. Use urad dal (black lentils), green or yellow split peas, black beans, or other small dried peas or beans.
- Separately, soak the rice and the beans. You can start them in the morning, and they'll be ready to finish preparation by the evening.
- Grind the rice with water, until it is a smooth paste. You can use a blender or food processor, adding just enough water to cover the rice. This grinding may take several minutes.
- Grind the beans with just enough water to keep the paste from fluffing before it is ground.
- Combine both pastes, the salt, and the yeast in a large bowl.
- Cover and leave overnight in a warm place to rise.
- Lightly oil and heat a griddle.
- Pour several spoonfuls of batter onto the griddle.
- When the first side is lightly browned, flip to brown the other side.
- Serve warm or cool, plain, or with jelly or salsa.