Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
When you're sweltering in the last days of August and are sick of cold salads that you have lived on so as not to heat up the kitchen, and you crave a real meal, try this one. Most, if not all of it, can be prepared in the microwave to keep the kitchen as cool as possible. This is one of my originals. Barb loves it. Serve with cold fruit or melon slices.
- 2 English muffins, toasted
- 4 slices Canadian bacon
- 4 slices monterey jack pepper cheese
- 4 cups egg substitute (or more)
- 3⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 3⁄4 cup diced mushroom
- 1 package knorr fat free hollandaise mix
- Heat bacon in microwave.
- Make the Hollandaise according to package directions.
- This can be done in the microwave to keep the kitchen as cool as possible.
- Saute the onions and mushies just until wilted.
- Scramble eggs and add onions and mushrooms.
- This can be done in the microwave, but it doesn't take long and I prefer the stove top.
- Assemble the product: put two slices bacon on each of the muffins, place one slice of cheese over the bacon, heap the egg mixture on top of the cheese, generously ladle Hollandaise over everything, garnish with a sprinkle of paprika.
- Option: You may wish to doll it up by adding a dash of vanilla, or some pie spices, or even a glug of sherry to the Hollandaise.
We really enjoyed this. I used havarti instead of pepper jack and I used regular bacon instead of canadian bacon. We enjoyed it as a great and quick dinner paired with a fresh fruit salad. I also didn't use the mushrooms as I don't like them.
I made this for lunch today and it was very tasty. I didn't have any montery jack cheese so I used gouda.