Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
DOGS for short. This stuff is amazing on brats, with pork roast and mashed potatoes, or on hot dogs. Serving sizes depend on how you use it.
- Fry the bacon; While it's cooking, put the crock on high, and add the packages of drained sauerkraut.
- Peel and core the apple and chop it into little pieces and add it, or add the applesauce - one or the other.
- When the bacon is done KEEP THE BACON FAT; cool the bacon and crumble it and add it to the crock, and pour all of the bacon fat in as well.
- Really blend it up well with a fork, so that all the kraut is covered with some bacon fat; About every hour or so, stir the whole thing really well; As each hour goes by, the kraut gets more golden, and the apple disintegrates a bit more.
- After 4 hours on high, put it on medium, still continuing to stir every hour or half hour until it's reached your desired consistency.