Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
DOGS for short. This stuff is amazing on brats, with pork roast and mashed potatoes, or on hot dogs. Serving sizes depend on how you use it.
- Fry the bacon; While it's cooking, put the crock on high, and add the packages of drained sauerkraut.
- Peel and core the apple and chop it into little pieces and add it, or add the applesauce - one or the other.
- When the bacon is done KEEP THE BACON FAT; cool the bacon and crumble it and add it to the crock, and pour all of the bacon fat in as well.
- Really blend it up well with a fork, so that all the kraut is covered with some bacon fat; About every hour or so, stir the whole thing really well; As each hour goes by, the kraut gets more golden, and the apple disintegrates a bit more.
- After 4 hours on high, put it on medium, still continuing to stir every hour or half hour until it's reached your desired consistency.