Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This wonderful dish is made using two of the most popular ingredients used in India and the sub-continent. The chicken is cooked in the rich coconut sauce and at the end of cooking the mango and tomato are added. I have just cooked a batch of this for the local restaurant for their curry night on Saturday.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken, and cubed
- 4 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 100 ml plain yogurt
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, chopped
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium mango
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Beat togethet the curry powder, lemon juice and yoghurt.
- Marinate the chicken in the spice mix for 30 minutes.
- In a large pot heat the butter and oil together, and fry the onions till light brown in colour.
- Add the ginger and garlic, cook for 2 miins.
- Add the chicken and cook in the sauce for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and salt, cover the pot and cook on low heat for approx 30 mins till the chicken is tender.
- Slice the mango and remove the skin, (go on let the yourself go and suck the stone), add the mango flesh to the pot with the tomato. Stir gently and garnish with the coriander leaves.
- This is super over plain rice or noodles. Enjoy.
This is a great curry base. I found the spicing a little one dimesional and flat. That is easily boosted. The sauce is creamy and wonderful.