1/2 Photos of Dhal Balls With Yogurt
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Based on a recipe from Linda Fraser's book, The Book of Curries and Indian Foods. This is great served in pitas (I use Pita Bread for the Breadmaker) with shredded or torn lettuce and chopped tomato. Cook time doesn't include the 2 hours required to soak the lentils after picking through them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup whole green lentil
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 6 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 tablespoons fresh coconut, shredded
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 green chilies, seeded, chopped (I often use canned chopped chiles)
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot, grated (1 1-inch piece)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- cilantro leaf, chopped (garnish)
- 1Place lentils in a sieve and rinse thoroughly under cold running water.
- 2Pick over lentils removing any grit. Place in a bowl, cover with cold water and soak 2 hours.
- 3Meanwhile, mix yogurt with 2 tablespoons of the cilantro and the chile powder. Cover and refrigerate.
- 4Drain lentils, cover with fresh water and simmer 30 minutes, or until tender. Add to vegetable mill or food processor and puree or mash well. Transfer to a bowl, add 2 tablespoons of the coconut, the bread crumbs, remaining cilantro, chiles, gingerroot, egg, salt and pepper; mix well. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 5Dampen hands, then carefully roll mixture into 1-inch balls, then roll balls in flour to coat completely.
- 6Half-fill a deep pan or deep-fryer with oil and heat to 375°F (190C), or until a 1-inch cube of bread browns in 50 seconds.
- 7Fry about 6 balls at a time 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- 8Drain on paper towels.
- 9Serve hot with yogurt sauce, sprinkled with remaining coconut and garnished with cilantro leaves.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dhal Balls With Yogurt
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.4
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 60.8 mg
- Sodium 250.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.6 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 18.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: