Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 4 firm tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- fresh parsley sprig
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Cut 1/3 slice off top of each tomato.
- Reserve tops for "lids".
- Remove seeds from each tomato.
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add garlic, breadcrumbs and chopped parsley; mix well.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cayenne pepper, paprika, mustard, cheese and salt; mix well.
- Spoon mixture into tomatoes and form in neat mounds, pressing gently in shape with fingertips.
- Put reserved "lids" on top.
- Arrange tomatoes, cut sides up, in greased pan, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs and serve hot.
7/2011 Did them again with huge ripe, red, slicing 'maters. Used seasoned breadcrumbs -- but crushed crackers would be very good. As we age, we split one tomato and have another for tomorrow ! Very simple and quick. Will be doing again !
Being totally over-run by produce from 4 tomato plants, I search desperately for something to do for dinner. This was a tasty recipe, but there being just 2 of us, and VERY LARGE tomatoes, I decided to just fill 3. Each tomato was about 2/3 filled, and we only ate 2 of them. Be very careful of SIZE of tomatoes, if you are planning on anyone outside of family - grocery store size would likely be sufficient.
Hi Mille, Tried them as described and they were great. The receipe doubles, triples & halves with ease. With the tomato crop coming in it is nice to have a really good recipe or two to hand out with the free tomatoes! Thanks!
Lovely tomatoes Miller, thanks!! the vine ripened are still around and so tastey, this was a great way to use them. I just made half a recipe, 2 tomatoes, they went wonderfully well with our baked salmon. Nice to have a change from rice filled tomatoes and we loved the cayenne and mustard, topped off with the parmesan, great taste.