Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is definitely comfort food for Buggy and me. The marinade makes it a little different from common sauted chicken livers. Prep time includes marinating time
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper or 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 lb chicken liver
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup water
- In a medium bowl combine all marinade ingredients: stir until smooth.
- Cut chicken livers in half, removing membrane.
- Add livers to marinade and toss to coat well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- In a large skillet melt butter or margarine.
- Remove livers from marinade, drain well.
- Reserve marinade.
- Saute for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Add water to marinade and stir until smooth.
- Add to chicken livers and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
I love chicken livers and this was a good way to make them. I followed the recipe exactly but it it was hard to separate the livers from the marinade, so I cooked them a bit and then it was easy to drain out the marinade to add back in at the end. After I removed the livers, I added onions and some olive oil and added the sauce back and livers back in when the onions were soft. The only thing I didn't love about this recipe was the slight sweetness from the ketchup.
Hi Renee, when I tried this recipe I was hesitant about the ketchup & dry mustard - but my fears were for naught - the livers were delcious! Instead os serving over rice we served it over buttered parslied noodles with small spring peas and the livers were exceptional! We had enough gravy for the livers to stay moist and also for the noodles. Thank you so much for sharing, it was really great comfort food, Diane :=)
The flavor of this dish is nice, but I had a problem with the texture. I rinsed, then marinated the chicken livers 45 minutes. When cooking they fell apart and were extremely mushy, nothing like the ones in Bergy's photo. I wonder what happened? I am giving 4 stars for the flavor and will try this recipe again. Thanks!