2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is from the cookbook, The Korean Kitchen, by Copeland Marks. He says that Koreans would consider this soup more of a health food since it does not have any red meat and is made with no fat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 cups water
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken parts (boneless breast, thighs, legs-discard the skin and fat)
- 1/2 cup perilla seeds or 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds, ground to a powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red hot chili powder (gochu garu)
- 8 scallions, chopped into 2 inch lengths
- 1In a large pot, bring the water to a boil and add the chicken parts. Lower the heat to medium and cook for 1 hour.
- 2Remove the chicken parts from the broth and reserve the broth. Cool the chicken and separate the meat, removing bones and skin. Tear the meat into shreds.
- 3Add the ground seeds to the broth and bring back to a boil. Lower heat back to medium and cook for 15 minutes.
- 4Add the seasonings to the chicken shreds - soy sauce, garlic, chopped scallions, pepper and gochu garu - and mix well. Add to the broth and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- 5Add the scallion lengths and cook for 5 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deulk Kae Kook (Chicken and Perilla Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (523 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.9
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 88.1 mg
- Sodium 660.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 28.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: