This is my basic recipe for American Chop Suey. I sometimes add more spices to give it a little different taste, maybe a little Sage, Thyme or whatever. My DH said it wouldn't be "normal" if I followed my recipe exactly. This is a real comfort food. The Prep and Cook time are estimates
- 453.59 g box elbow macaroni
- 453.59-680.38 g ground beef
- 2 (595.33 g) can tomato soup
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes
- 59.14-118.29 ml dry red wine
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalk celery, diced
- 226.79 g sliced fresh mushrooms
- 9.85-14.78 ml minced garlic
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 4.92 ml basil
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 0.75-1.25 ml Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Spray a large skillet with a cooking spray like pam.
- Add about two tablespoons Olive Oil.
- Brown the ground beef.
- Add the peppers, onions, celery, garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook till vegetable are almost tender.
- Add the tomato soup, diced tomatoes, wine and the spices.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Drain cooked macaroni and place in a large bowl.
- pour the tomato mixture over the macaroni and mix well.
- Serve with lots of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.