Recipe by FLUFFSTER
This, from a soul food cookbook by Isaac Hayes's called Cooking with Heart and Soul, brings soul food to your kitchen! Catfish is farm raised in most states now. Serve this with fried hushpuppies, coleslaw, and sweetened tea, and you will have a deluxe southern meal!
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 catfish fillets
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, shallow bowl, combine cornmeal. Old Bay seasoning, mustard powder, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Coat each fillet with the seasoned cornmeal and shake off any excess.
- Pour oil into a large skillet to measure 1/8 inch deep and heat until hot over medium-high heat.
- Cook the catfish until golden brown and crisp, turning once, being careful to maintain the oil temperature so that it is hot enough to cook the fish through but not so hot that the outside cooks too much.