Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe I came up with after growing tired of the same ol' fried chicken dishes. Combining a delicious brine, with a long and generous marinade, followed by adding quality spices, I've found the one and only recipe you and your family will ever need for a Fried Chicken night. No need for ranch as a side, these pieces of chicken pack all the flavor your mouth will ever need.
- 1 whole chicken
- Crisco (1 quart for frying) or lard (1 quart for frying)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons onion salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 5 cups cold water
- 1⁄2 cup kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- Prepare your brine by adding all three ingredients to the bowl of ice cold water. Stir vigorously until all ingredients have dissolved.
- Cut chicken into 10 pieces, splitting the breast in half. Keep all skin on the bird, for this will add to the crispy quality of the chicken. Add chicken to the brine and reserve, covered, in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Prepare all the dry ingredients, except flour, in a bowl. Separate half of this mixture for wet mix, and keep other half reserved for flour mix.
- Remove pieces from brine and pat dry with a white paper towel. Once all pieces have dried, add them to a bowl. Sprinkle and coat chicken with half of the dry mix ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine Buttermilk, hot sauce, and soy sauce. Stir until well blended then pour this mixture over the chicken. Coat fully, cover, and refrigerate for 4-6 hours. This can also be covered and reserved over night.
- Prepare the other half of dry ingredients with flour and mix. Remove chicken from bowl, do not dry. Dip chicken into flour and set them aside and a wire rack for 10-15 minutes.
- Melt Crisco in a deep frying dish (you can also deep fry in a dutch oven if you have one). Add chicken to oil at 350 degrees. Cook, turning often, for approximately 15-20 minutes ore until chicken is done.