Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I picked a bunch of elderberries and wanted to make a jam. I had little bits of all kinds of fruits. It really turned out well and I wanted to remember next year how I did it. The sugar is a guess because I did it by taste when I was cooking. This is good to drink before adding pectin and would be good for fruit dumplings. It has a long cooking time but I don't want to be accused of not enough; when the fruit is done it's done.
- 8 cups elderberries
- 3 cups red grapes
- 1 cup white grapes
- water, enough to cover
- 5 lbs sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs brown sugar
- 1 1⁄8 cups strawberries
- 2 cups raspberries
- 8 cups pitted cherries
- 1 (3 ounce) package Sure-Jell
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1 (3 ounce) package cherry Jell-O (black)
- Cook the elderberries and seeded grapes with enough water to cover, until mushy and well cooked, about 1 hour is how long I cooked it.
- Remove mixture and put through strainer.
- Put juice back into pot.
- Add sugars.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Add rest of fruit.
- Cook down until mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle in the Sure-Jell and two packages of Jell-O.
- Cook on low, stirring as needed, for another hour. If water gets too low add more.
- When thickened enough, pour into 1/2 pint jars and seal.
- This made 26-1/2 pints for me.