Prep 6 mins
Cook 1 min
This was a favorite of mine from a small pub outside bristol in the UK. I had some spare cheese and time one night and came up with this recipe. Serve with a semi sweet jelly like red current or an onion jam.
- Make sure the cheese is really cold by placing in the freezer for a couple of minutes.
- Beat the egg with a fork in a small bowl.
- Cut the cheese into wedges (8 per 125g round).
- Dip in the beaten egg.
- Roll the dipped wedges in the breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry at 400°F until crumbs brown and wedges start to puff up slightly.
- This should only take less than a minute.
I'm not sure if 'red currant' is the same as cranberry, but deep fried camembert + cranberry jelly is a mouthful of joy. My best friend makes this from time to time and it's extraordinarily tasty.
I used to go to my local pub just so I get this food. It was as you describe here and with a side bowl of Cumberland Sauce. You can do the same with brie if thats more to your taste.
Need to use very fine breadcrumbs! Mine were too large and burnt a little :(