Recipe by FLUFFSTER
I guess now we can deep-fry just about anything! I have not tried it but I believe the friend who gave me the recipe. Watermelon is as scarce as frog hair right about now, so guess I'll have to wait awhile. Come on, give it a try! Times are approx.
- 10 lbs watermelon
- 11 tablespoons flour
- 7 tablespoons cornstarch (cornflour)
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 3 cups vegetable oil, suitable for deep-frying
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the watermelon in half and scoop out the pulp.
- Remove any seeds from the pulp and cut the pulp into diamond shapes.
- Coat with the flour.
- Heat the oil in a wok over high fire to about 250°F.(120°C), or until little bubbles appear around a 1-inch(2cm)cube of day-old bread dropped into the oil.
- Dip the watermelon pieces in the batter and add to the oil.
- Deep-fry until the coating becomes firm.
- Turn off the heat and continue to deep-fry the watermelon until light brown.
- Remove, and drain well.
- Sprinkle with the sugar and serve.