Recipe by LuckyMe
These are from the book Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. Great for a quick snack or easy breakfast.
Top Review by ShaGun
This is the 2nd time I've made these. It's true that you can't detect the spinach, which is nice. My children just aren't a big fan of these. After the first bite, my kids don't want to eat any more and I end up eating them all myself simply because I don't want to waste the ingredients. The first time I made them, I brought them to the park and no one would touch them after they heard they had spinach in them. I did use a larger pan (9"x11") the second time I made these and thought that was a much better pan size.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup balance trans-fat free margarine, chilled
- 1 cup no-sugar-added blueberry spread
- 1⁄2 cup spinach, puree
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Coat an 8"X 8" baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and vanilla and stir to mix well.
- Add the margarine and cut it quickly into dry ingredients with two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal and is no longer powdery. Do no overmix--bits of margarine will still be visible.
- Set aside about half the oat mixture; press the rest firmly into the pan. Bake until lightly browned at the edges (but not fully baked), 13 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the preserves with the spinach puree in a small bowl.
- Spread blueberry mixture over the partially baked oat layer, then sprinkle with reserved oat mixture. Bake until topping is slightly browned, 20-25 minutes. Set the pan on a rack to cool completely before cutting into 12 bars.
- Spinach Puree:.
- Steam baby spinach(for mature spinach-remove stems) for about 30-40 seconds or cook in skillet with 1 tablespoons water for about 90 seconds or just until wilted. Puree in food processor or blender for about 2 min until smooth and creamy.