Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I came up with this when I was desperate for a really yummy breakfast that was also low in fat and calories, but wouldn't taste like it was low in fat and calories. This is it, and it worked. And it's easy (especially if you keep pre-made topping in the refrigerator). You can have breakfast for you and the kids in the time it takes to toast a slice of bread, with no mess. The topping ingredients can be multiplied and stored in the refrigerator for as long as the cheese would stay fresh.
- 16 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese or 16 ounces fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 -3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons citron (more if desired) or 3 tablespoons chopped mixed dried fruit (more if desired)
- 1 tablespoon miniature chocolate chip (or more if desired) (optional)
- 3 slices raisin bread (more or less if desired)
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients except bread well; you can use immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
- Toast the raisin bread on a light to medium setting.
- Spread with the cheese mixture and enjoy!
- NOTE: You can substitute the citron with any chopped or diced dried fruit or fruit mix, or pre-packaged dried fruit mix you like (pineapple& papaya is one of my favorites).
I had to make a few substitutions and this was still delectible. I used a cottage cheese/pineapple mixture, since I didn't have ricotta or dried fruit. Ok, so it didn't taste like a true cannoli, but it was good. I'm looking forward to making it with the ingredients you have listed. I'm sure I will enjoy it even more. Thanks Charmed for another breakfast brightener!!!!