Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I adapted this from Nigella's de lux mac and cheese from her Christmas book. Her recipe makes a lot. I have cut this down a little and messed with the evaporated milk quantities- she calls for 3 x 170g mini tins of evaporated milk. Well in my part of the world we can get evaporated milk in 410g cans, so rather than put a part can of evaporated milk back in fridge I plonked it all in and reduced down semi skimmed milk. Evaporated milk sounds gross, but it really makes the creaminess of the recipe. Everyone loves this recipe especially at Christmas with baked ham. I also added broccoli, but you can add whatever veg/ham etc you like.
- Preheat oven to gas mark 7. Mix milk and evaporated milk together in a jug. In a medium lidded saucepan melt the butter add the flour and stir cooking on a low heat until it smells biscuity and has gone golden.
- Take the pan off the heat add the milk mixture little by little whisking each addition thoroughly to incorporate until it is all added. Add mustard powder.
- Put pan back on medium heat and stirring with wooden spoon cook for approx 10 minutes until thickened and flouriness has been cooked away. Add 3/4 cheese, saving a bit for the top of the mac.
- Boil the kettle and place hot water in a new large saucepan. Salt well and then add macaroni. Bring to boil and cook for a couple minutes less than packet instructions.
- Mix the pasta, broccoli and cheese sauce in a large oven-proof dish, Sprinkle over remaining cheese and bake for 20 minutes.