Recipe by Sofina
Date Syrup can be used like maple syrup and also to top olive oil couscous cake
Top Review by Rita~
Yes you can buy the syrup in a jar but it is so easy to make. I did have dates so this was much easier to make then running to a specialty store for the product. Also called Date molasses or dibs tamar in Arabic. This is used as a sweetener that is high in fiber, iron and calcium. This recipe produced a thick creamy syrup more paste like. Makes a great substitute for processed sugar. You can top pancake, your favorite bread, swirl into cupcake or muffin dough before baking,Oh go ahead a top a bowl of yogurt or ice cream with it, or use as Arabic recipes call for it. I made this to be used in Recipe #443553. Which I have not made yet! I must say I will make this again to use as a sweetener with many benefits!
As for this recipe I placed 8 ounces package of dates which was over 30 figs with the remaining ingredients cooked for 20 minutes then added to my vita mix. Blended to a thick yummy paste.
Thank you for posting!
Directions See How It's Made
- dry 36 dates and chopping them in the blender.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently for 1 hour.
- Cool to room temperature, put in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Store in refrigerator; heat slightly before using on anything you are serving hot.
- Use Date Syrup just as you would use maple syrup on pancakes, waffles, French toast, ice cream.
- It is higher in fiber and lower in calories than maple syrup or honey. Makes about 1 3/4 cups.