Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
A tasty cookie my Mom always made at Christmas. They taste best made ahead and allowed to soften.
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 lb dates
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Date Filling:.
- In a small saucepan combine dates, water & brown sugar.
- Simmer until soft and spreadable, you might need a bit more water, if it gets too watery, just cook it down.
- Allow to cool.
- Combine the dry ingredients, Flour, Baking Powder and Salt; set aside.
- Cream Shortening and Sugar, gradually add the beaten Egg and Vanilla; mix well.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the Sugar and Egg mixture; blending in after each additions.
- Chill the dough 15 minutes. Roll the dough to 1/8" thick. Cut 3" circles or in cookie cutter shapes done in pairs.
- Bake at 375F for 8-10 minutes, remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Spread a small amount of date filling onto bottom side of a cookie and top with another cookie. Continue in this manner until all cookies are done in pairs.
- These cookies can be prepared without the dates; cut out shapes, bake and decorate as desired. These freeze well.