The name is the same as another recipe posted, but the ingredients are totally different. This recipe is from King Arthur Flour and there are two reasons I am posting here- the big one is that I want to be able to find it quickly, the second one is that I tweeked it a touch and I want to be sure to remember my tweeks because there were soooooooo good! If you want to see the real recipe, search King Arthur's webiste for Dark and Soft Chain Restaurant Dinner Rolls.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup warm milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup honey or 1/4 cup molasses and 1/4 honey
- 2 3/4 cups bread flour (King Arthur Unbleached)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat Flour)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed meal (Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1Combine all of the dough ingredients in the bucket of a bread machine, or in an electric mixer. If you are using instant yeast, just mix. If you are using regular yeast, warm the milk, water and honey or honey/molasses and "proof" with the yeast (let the yeast wake up and get all bubbly- about 5 mins).
- 2Mix and knead until you’ve formed a smooth, slightly sticky dough. It’s a sticky dough and a bit messy at first, but just keep at it, flouring your hands and trying not to add too much additional flour to the dough; eventually it’ll smooth out.
- 3Let the dough rise in the bowl covered with a kitchen towel (or bucket of the bread machine) for 1 hour. It may not have doubled in size, but should be just a bit puffy.
- 4Punch down and either shape into 10 small loaves and place on a slightly oiled cookie sheet or into 24 small balls in a muffin pan.
- 5Cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm place for about 2 hours. They may not have doubled in size, but will appear puffy.
- 6Bake the rolls in a preheated 350°F oven for about 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- 7Remove from oven and cool on a rack (if made in a muffin pan, remove from the cups as soon as possible and cool on rack).
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dark and Soft Dinner Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (55 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.9
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 13.3 mg
- Sodium 513.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 7.2 g