1/2 Photos of Damper (Aussie Campfire Bread)
This very traditional Australian bread was the staple food of the famous Australian swagman. Traditionally it is cooked in the coals of the campfire but this version is made in your oven. It's very quick to make and extremely versatile. Damper is a cross between a bread and a scone. It can be either sweet or savoury and the variations are endless - just use your imagination. Try a savoury damper as a side dish with soup. The swaggies often served a plain or sweet damper with butter and golden syrup (corn syrup). Served like this it's called 'cockie's joy' - a 'cockie' being a farm worker, and a 'boss cockie' being the person in charge. Damper does not keep well. It is best eaten the day it is made, but it can be frozen and reheated. Give it a try for something different!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Set oven to hot 200C (400F).
- 2Grease an 18cm (7 inch) sandwich cake tin or four single serve ramekin dishes.
- 3Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- 4Add any other optional ingredients (see below).
- 5Make a well in the centre of the flour and add most, but not all of the milk.
- 6Mix with a knife, adding more milk if necessary, until you have formed a fairly moist, but not sloppy, dough.
- 7Turn dough into a cake tin or spoon into ramekins.
- 8Smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
- 9If making a savoury damper, sprinkle the top with cheese and/or add a thin slice or slices of tomato.
- 10Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown on top and a skewer, inserted in the centre, comes out clean.
- 11Turn out and cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.
- 12Serve warm with butter.
- 13Some Variations: Cheese Damper- add 1/2 cup grated cheese and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- 14Cheese and Bacon Damper- add 1/2 cup grated cheese and 2-3 rashers of cooked, chopped bacon.
- 15Cheese and Herb Damper- add 1/2 cup grated cheese and 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil OR 1 teaspoon of dried herbs.
- 16Fruit Damper- add 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit and 1 tablespoon sugar.
- 17Orange Damper- add the finely grated rind of an orange and 1 tablespoon sugar.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Damper (Aussie Campfire Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.2
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 8.5 mg
- Sodium 1114.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 8.1 g