Recipe by The Red Knight
These are wonderfully moist, healthy muffins perfect for vegans, or for those who, like me, are carnivores who are allergic to milk protein. It is 100% non-Dairy, and low in fat.
Top Review by jme_see
These were great, although I altered them quite a bit. I used all canola oil instead of the applesauce/oil mixture, just because I didn't have any handy. I used half white flour and half wheat flour, and omitted the cinnamon. Also I didn't exactly have granola cereal so I used a combination of one package of cranberry instant oat meal, some ground flax seeds, and some ground almonds that all amounted to about a cup. (also sprinkled some of this on top of the muffins before popping them into the oven) Oh, one more thing, the batter seemed a little dry (as mentioned in the recipe) so I added probably almost 3/4 cup of cranberry grape juice i had hanging around. If nothing else, all my changes prove that muffin recipes can be quite versatile! These came out great at about 22 min as well! Thanks!
- 2 cups white flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup rice milk or 2⁄3 cup soymilk
- 2 cups loosely chopped fresh cranberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup oil (I used Canola)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- paper baking cup
- 1 cup granola cereal (I used Cascadian Farm Organic Oats and Honey. A good alternate is Zoe's Apple Cinnamon Granola Cerea)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together Rice/Soy Milk, Applesauce, oil, and granola cereal, and let it soak for 5-10 minutes, or until the granola is soft.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, and salt.
- Pour the bowl of wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix.
- You may need to add 2 more Tablespoons of Rice/Soy Milk to make the dough softer.
- Then, add the cranberries.
- Put the muffin papers into the muffin slots and fill 2/3 full with muffin dough.
- Sprinkle tops lightly with sugar and cinnamon.
- Stick in oven on middle rack.
- Cook 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
- (My best results were at 22 minutes).
- Remove from oven.
- Let cool for five minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Take out of oven, let cool for five minutes, and then EAT!