Recipe by DebraAnn Taylor
My sister and I have always loved tamale pie, but only had it at pot lucks. Our mothers version was from a box, and that was good too. Unfortunatly, they stopped making the kind in a box, at least they dont sell it here anymore. So with some trial and error we came up with this. Our families love it, and it is even better the next day. Very simple to make, and so tasty!
Top Review by 865918
This is a basic, easy, recipe and about as authentic as you'd hope to find. First I made it as printed, second time added 1 tsp chili powder, and since have come up with a couple more ideas. It is my Tamale recipe of choice and deserves a 5 Star Rating! Thak you, DebraAnn.
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package chili seasoning mix
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (17 ounce) can corn (drained)
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can olives (drained)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- mix corn meal, milk, and egg in 13in glass baking dish.
- Brown meat and drain.
- to meat add chili seasoning,tomatoes, corn, olives (stir).
- pour meat mixture into cormeal mixture in baking dish.
- mix well.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour and 20 minute.
- sprinkle cheese on top, and bake another 10 minute.
- Serve with salad and enjoy.