Recipe by UmmBinat
With gluten free option. A very quick to prepare tasty meze. We enjoy this as a delicious breakfast item or it could always be a snack! I serve it with pita bread but a crusty bread would be very good. Modified from The Complete Middle East Cookbook by Tess Mallos, Cyprus section.
Top Review by awalde
I added some pepper to flour and I baked this with little oil on the barbecue.
With some fresh tapenade (Recipe #373973 by Katzen) and homemade bread we had a delicious complete meal.
It was something like "bringing the summer back on our table" .
Thanks for the idea¨!
- 8 ounces haloumy cheese (or 250g called "haloom" in Arabic)
- flour, for coating (To be gluten free I use a mix of white rice flour and half the amount of tapioca starch)
- olive oil (best to use unrefined)
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges
- crusty bread (or pita bread or to be gluten free, rice crackers)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut cheese into 1/4 inch slices, dip in water and dredge in flour if desired (I do like it this way).
- Heat enough oil in a small frying pan to cover base, fry cheese until slightly golden on each side.
- Squeeze some lemon on top and serve with rest of the lemon wedges and a crusty bread or some pita to dip into the lemon flavoured oil.