Recipe by Sara 76
To make this side dish into a main meal for 4 people, add a large tin of drained tuna. You can replace the curry powder with a mixture of ground spices such as coriander, cumin, and turmeric, if you prefer. From the January 2009 issue of "recipes +" magazine.
- 1⁄4 peanut oil
- 2 brown onions, cut into slices
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 long red chili, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat. Cook and stir onion for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- Reheat pan; add curry powder, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add rice; stir to combine. Add stock; cover with a lid. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cook for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Stand for 5 minutes. Using a fork, seperate grains. Remove cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, cloves and bay leaves. Stir in spinach until it wilts. Season with salt.
- Spoon rice into a large serving bowl. Top with onion, almonds, and chilli.