Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe comes via Father Dominic. His website was recommended to me by my friend Cara.
- 1 cup water, plus
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- cornmeal, for sprinkling on baking sheet
- 1 egg, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water, for egg glaze
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- Add water, salt, flour, brown sugar and yeast to bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer.
- Select dough/manual cycle.
- When cycle is complete, transfer dough to a lightly floured surface.
- Shape into a long loaf; taper ends by gently rolling back and forth.
- Place on a baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Let rise, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, make 3 or 4 diagonal slashes on top of loaf.
- Brush with egg glaze.
- Place on the middle shelf of a cold oven.
- Place a shallow pan on bottom shelf and add hot water to pan.
- Set oven temperature at 400 degrees and bake 30 minutes, or until done.
- Remove from pan and let cool on wire rack.
This was very easy and very tasty. It is crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Thanks for the recipe.
I'm ashamed I'm just now reviewing this recipe. I've baked this bread 4 times in the last two weeks and can't seem to get enough of it. This bread is perfect on its own, toasted, for sandwiches, etc. It's fluffy in texture but also has a chew to it that you tend to expect from artisan style bread. I've been baking a lot of bread in general lately and am amazed that the only load with no added fat is the best so far. Thank you so much for sharing what will become one of my most treasured recipes.
This is excellent! Nicely flavored and easy to make.