- 1 cup water, plus
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- cornmeal, for sprinkling on baking sheet
- 1 egg, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water, for egg glaze
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Add water, salt, flour, brown sugar and yeast to bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer.
- Select dough/manual cycle.
- When cycle is complete, transfer dough to a lightly floured surface.
- Shape into a long loaf; taper ends by gently rolling back and forth.
- Place on a baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Let rise, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, make 3 or 4 diagonal slashes on top of loaf.
- Brush with egg glaze.
- Place on the middle shelf of a cold oven.
- Place a shallow pan on bottom shelf and add hot water to pan.
- Set oven temperature at 400 degrees and bake 30 minutes, or until done.
- Remove from pan and let cool on wire rack.