Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
Great meal for vegetarians. WOnderful served with marinara sauce.
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups corn flakes, coarsely crushed
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Take your tofu and cut it into 1/2-inch thick slabs across the short side of the tofu block and set them aside.
- In a shallow, non-reactive bowl, combine your buttermilk and herbs and add the tofu to that bowl and turn it to coat well.
- Let stand 20 minutes in this mixture.
- Meanwhile, mix the cornflakes with the salt and cayenne and place it in a flat, wide dish.
- Heat your olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, and coat your tofu slabs in the cornflake mixture, making sure to press the cornflakes gently into the tofu to cover.
- Place the coated tofu slabs in the heated pan and allow them to cook for 4 minutes until golden brown.
- Turn the tofu and cook on the other side 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately or place on a baking pan in a 200-degree oven to keep warm until ready to serve.
great flavor. i had trouble making the corn flake mixture stick to the tofu, it came off in the pan during cooking and also transferring, but maybe i didn't press the tofu enough.
I made a half recipe of this for my husband and myself and it was delicious. I let the cut slabs of tofu drain for an hour on paper towels, then marinated them in the buttermilk and herb (I used basil and thyme) mixture for a bit more than an hour. I used my food processor and ground the corn flakes pretty well, added the spices and used a bit more oil for cooking (my tofu was pretty well coated)...we like our tofu crunchy! I served this with warmed marinara sauce and it was a really great lunch! Thanks L4C for a wonderful recipe that I'll be making again quite soon :)