Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I wanted something a little different with my potatoes so fooled around in the kitchen and came up with this recipe. You must use the dried, sliced garlic and "French's" Fried onions or Hanh Phi (oriental Fried Red Onions) to get the crunch. Left overs would make delicious patties. This is so easy and IMHO very good
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons sliced dried garlic
- 4 tablespoons french French-fried onions (or other brand)
- 3 -5 drops milk, if necessary
- Peel potatoes, quarter them and boil until well cooked (15-20 min).
- about 5 minutes before the potatoes are finished cooking throw in the dry sliced garlic, finish cooking.
- Drain well and roughly mash - you do not want the potatoes totally smooth
- Add butter, add a drop or two of milk if they are too dry
- Just before serving stir in the French's Frien Onions & Serve
posted May 27, 2003, Oh Bergy!! These were too good. The addition of the dried sliced garlic is great, lots of crunch with the french fried onions. (I have been adding the dried sliced garlic, from the Oriental store, to quite a few things, they add a wonderful crunch and taste. Try frying them in a tiny bit of oil in a hot frypan 'till nice and brown and add them to a salad or steamed veggies, really crunchy/nummy!!) Sorry got off track, these potatoes were great, you will think I'm nuts but I stopped on the way home from work last night, at the A&W, have you ever had their french fried onions!!?? soooo good and wonderful in this recipe. This was a lovely addition to our supper last night. Thanks for sharing another great one Bergy! Jan 11/04 to add to the above, made these again to go with our roast of beef tonight, nummmy!! , they are even better with the dried fried onions, wonderful taste with the garlic, thanks Bergy!!
Yummy! I was glad to find another way to use dried garlic and especially liked the chunky texture of the ingredients (taters, garlic & onions). The only thing I didn't like was that the french fried onions became mushy after being mixed in. Guess we like them crunchy on top of the potatoes. Thanks!