Prep 45 mins
Cook 14 mins
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 lb flank steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 grated lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 green onions, cut into 2-inch lengths
- Make the marinade: combine the soy sauce and cornstarch in a bowl; mix well.
- Add in the beef; stir to coat evenly; let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, and five spice powder; mix well.
- Add in the apple; stir to coat evenly.
- Place a wok over high heat until hot; add in the oil, swirling to coat the sides.
- Add in the beef, stir-fry until rare, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the apple mixture, bell peppers, and green onions; stir-fry until the apples are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve.
This recipe is *so*good*!! I made it for the first time for dinner tonight. I had to stray from the recipe just a tad, substituting orange bell pepper for the green (because I don't care for green). I didn't have the spice blend or the primary ingredients on hand, so I made my own blend of equal parts fresh ginger root, cinnamon, paprika, ground clove and allspice/nutmeg blend. The spices were awesome around the red and yellow "Jazz" apple. I will make this again. Awesome.