Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Spray inside of large crock pot with cooking spray.
- Mix water, spices and lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Layer ingredients in crock pot in this order:.
- water mixture.
- olive oil.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serving Suggestion.
- Serve over rice or couscous.
It was great for such a low cal, low fat, low sodium dish. However, it seemed lacking, and the things that would have brought it up to the taste of a really good tagine would make it no longer the healthy dish that it is. The oranges disinegrated. Apricots would probably hold up better, and maybe give it a more authentic taste? And some saffron? But it was really good-- and did I mention healthy? Thanks for something different to add to my low fat cook book!
this was excellent! the whole family loved it. I did use fresh mandarin because thats what i had, i burst them open with a fork after the first few hours. I served over rice that i cooked with chicken broth and garam masla. thanks for sharing.
This was really good. I was surprised how well all the flavors combined. My chicken was a little dry, next time I'll only cook it for maybe 7 hours. But all-in-all this is an awesome, easy, healthy dish. Thank you!