Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From Crescent Dragonwagon's "Passionate Vegetarian" (2002)
- 7 -8 cups boiling water or 7 -8 cups milk or 7 -8 cups soymilk or 7 -8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2-2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon butter (optional) or 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
- cooking spray
- Spray the crock pot with cooking spray.
- Turn heat on HIGH.
- Add the liquid (use 8 cups for coarse ground cornmeal, 7 for finer grinds), salt, and cornmeal; stir well.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour on HIGH.
- Stir well and turn heat to LOW.
- Cover and stir occasionally.
- Cook for 6-9 hours on LOW until tender and very thick.
This was my first experience with polenta. It is delicious! I made 1/2 recipe in my 1 1/2quart crockpot. It worked out just fine!
I was doing a large dinner party, and planned to serve shrimp and peppers over polenta...and did NOT want to stand for an hour over a stove stirring! I found this recipe, tried it, and it works beautifully! The polenta is creamy and thick. I added grated Parmesan cheese and some chopped Italian parsley after I turned the slow cooker off, stirred it in to blend, and it was absolutely delicious. And easy!
Perfect, easy, cooked quicker in my particular brand of crock pot(Rival Smart Pot), about 4 hours on low after cooking on high initially. added crumbled bacon, cheese, caramelized onions. served with sautéed shrimp. so much better than the store bought goo. and no, didn't try to go southern with it, but that's where it led me. Word of caution, stir, stir occasionally if your slow cooker cooks hot.