Prep 35 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is a recipe my mother-in-law gave me. It is fairly simple and tastes great. I have used both lemon and lime juice when making this and either one works well.
- 2 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Rinse chicken and dry on paper towels.
- In a small bowl combine the oregano, salt, and pepper; sprinkle on chicken and pat inches.
- In a large skillet brown the chicken in the oil; transfer to crockpot when browned.
- Add water, lemon juice, and garlic to the skillet; bring to a boil and pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
This was tasty-- and resulted in tender chicken. My only change would be to omit the water. With the liquid from the lemon juice, and the juices from the chicken- no other liquid is needed. I ended up with chicken braising in the water/lemon juice. It would have been nice to have a lemon/garlic sauce out of the chicken juices at the end.