Prep 25 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This is a nice simple way to prepare chicken in the crock pot, but it tastes like you put a lot of work into it!
- Place butter and garlic in microwave-safe bowl and heat until butter is soft; blend together.
- Roll chicken breasts in garlic-butter mixture and place in crock pot.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt, pepper, parsley and rosemary.
- Add broth to bowl with remaining garlic-butter, reheat if necessary to allow smooth blending, and add mixture to crock pot.
- Cook on low setting for 6 - 8 hours.
- Serving size is approximately half a chicken breast and a small amount of sauce.
I did this recipe a little different and it turned out AMAZING!! First I seared the chicken in a pan on the stove to brown it up a bit (super hot pan...I only let it stay long enough to add color not cook through). I layered the bottom of the crock pot with thinly sliced onions and placed the browned chicken on top and seasoned with salt and pepper. I mixed softened butter with the garlic and added in paprika, ground mustard and italian seasoning (instead of just rosemary) and spread it over the top of the chicken. I poured about 1/4 cup of chicken broth into the spaces around the chicken for more moisture. It turned out so amazing when it was done I took the chicken out (carefully it started to fall apart) and put it aside and used the cooking liquid to flavor some rice! So making this many more times!!
This is a great, easy meal. In the interest of reducing the amount of fattening butter, I used half the amount and mixed it with an equal amount of olive oil. I also added some lemon juice to cut through some of the fat. It turned out yummy!
Everyone seems to love this, but we did not. This is the second time that I tried it because it *seems* like it should be really good. The chicken came out fairly bland (and I used more seasoning than called for) and REALLY REALLY dry. And the second time around, I didn't cook it for even close to the 6 hours in the directions. It basically poached in hot liquid for hours and got very dry. Not a keeper for us.