Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This recipe also includes directions for stove top preparation.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, quarters
- 2 lbs chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup apple cider or 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- ---Crock Pot Method---.
- Place spices, tomatoes, and cider in the crock pot and stir to mix.
- Add the chicken and toss to coat.
- Set the cooker to low heat and cook for 7-9 hours, or high heat for 3-4 hours.
- At the end of cooking, remove the chicken from the crock pot, mix the cornstarch with the 2 tbsp of water, and stir the cornstarch mixture into the bottom; set the crock pot to high and cook for 15 minutes to thicken the liquids.
- Return chicken to pot and toss to coat again.
- ---Stove Top Method---.
- Brown the chicken in a large skillet over medium heat (do not use oil), skin side down, for about 10 minutes; pour off excess fat.
- Sprinkle with spices and add tomatoes; cover with cider.
- Cover the pan, reduce the heat, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- To thicken the juices, make a slurry by combining the cornstarch with the cold water; stir it into the juices and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes longer, stirring.
Made for supper last night. I am not sure what the other reviewers problem was since they left no comments but this turned out great. I only used 1/4 t mace because I didn't have enough for the full 1/2 t. I also used leg quarters and no breasts. I used apple juice rather than cider.