Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe was gotten "somewhere" off the internet and tweaked by me :). I've made this many times and it's one of those I always have the ingredients on hand, it's simple and everyone I've ever served it to loves it. Make a salad or some green beans in the microwave and dinner is SERVED!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 4 -8 slices swiss cheese
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 7 ounces white wine (I like white port wine)
- 3 ounces milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package seasoned stuffing mix (Stove Top Herb or Chicken)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- Place chicken breasts in crock pot and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover with swiss cheese.
- Empty soups into bowl, but keep one of the soup cans.
- Fill the empty soup can 3/4 full with the port wine and add milk for the last 1/4 to make one full can and add this to your soup mixture in the bowl. Mix well and pour on top of swiss cheese.
- Top with DRY stuffing.
- Slice butter into pats and place on top of stuffing.
- Cover and let cook on LOW 4-6 hours.
I have been making this for centuries, but in a regular oven. I tried this recipe in the crockpot, and the only change I made is that I used some wine I had (dry white). The chicken was done and the top was soft. I think from now on, this is the way I will be doing this recipe. Excellent, and I would guess if you were fixing this for children, maybe just using chicken brother rather than the wine would be just as good.
When I put my boneless breast in the crockpot they still had some ice crystals on them and I was afraid it would skew the cooking time, but 6 hours was perfect. The chicken cut with a fork easily. I would make this again in a heartbeat. I've already passed it along to a couple friends.
I just had this during a luncheon It's the best... Thanks for posting.