Recipe by PSU Lioness
I came up with the recipe as a variation on my mom's recipe (The Mama's Thanksgiving Maple Sweet Potatoes and Apples ). This one uses fresh sweet potatoes and it is cooked in a crock pot so you have more time to fix other dishes during busy holiday dinners. I also cut back slightly on the maple syrup to cut some sweetness and added pumpkin pie spice for some depth.
Top Review by BamaKathy
I made this for a potluck and it was a big hit. The only thing I changed was adding a bit of salt. Watch your sweet potatoes like she said, during the last cook time. Delish! Thanks for posting!
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄8 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 granny smith apples (you can omit or add more to your liking)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and peel sweet potatoes. Cut into eighths.
- Place sweet potatoes in crock pot.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over potatoes.
- Drizzle syrup over brown sugar.
- Dot with butter.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg over top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours, stirring once an hour.
- Peel, core and slice the apples into eighths (for smaller apples) or sixteenths (for larger apples). Add to crock pot and stir.
- Cover and cook an additional 2 hours or until sweet potatoes and apples are tender. Stop cooking and remove from crock pot if sweet potatoes seem like they are getting mushy. Sometimes they get done more quickly than others.