Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Great hearty soup.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- In a nonstick skillet cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf before serving.
This is a very yummy and comforting soup. It reminds me very much of the beef vegetable soup that my grandmother makes, and since she doesn't use a recipe, this is probably the closest I will get. I have found that substituting ground sausage for the ground beef and carrot juice for the V8 also works. I would also note that my recipe says to cook on low for 9-11 hours. I am sure it would be ok as directed in this recipe, but it is also ok to leave in on low for longer, as that can be helpful sometimes too.
i lost a similar recipe that i had. so to match the one i lost, i added to this: 1 cup of chopped cabbage 1/3 cup of uncooked rice 2 cans of beef broth. it turned out delicious!!! will make many times.
Delicious! I cooked it on low for 4 hours and then the cooker switched to warm for several more hours and it was great -- even after being in the cooker for 12 hours (4 hours on low and the rest on warm). Thanks iluvmythomas for sharing -- this is on my list of busy weekday meals that are delicious, filling and can wait.