Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This was featured on Giada's "Greek Fusion" episode, and I just couldn't keep my mouth from watering!
- 6 sheets phyllo dough
- 6 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, cut into 6 equal pieces
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 8 ounces dried figs, stemmed and quartered
- 3⁄4 cup honey, plus more for drizzling
- 3 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat to 350 degrees F.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo on a dry work surface.
- Place one slice of cheese about 5 inches from the top of the narrow end of the sheet.
- Fold the top of the narrow end over the cheese, leaving 1 inch between the fold and the cheese.
- Next fold over 1 of the long sides then the other, again leaving 1-inch between the folds and the cheese.
- Then fold the cheese over, again leaving 1-inch between the fold and the cheese.
- Continue folding to make a package about 3 1/2 by 4-inches.
- Continue with the remaining pieces of cheese and phyllo.
- Fry the phyllo and cheese packages, 2 or 3 at a time, in the oil until golden, about 2 minutes per side.
- Drain on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, heat the figs and honey in a small saucepan over low heat until the honey is warm.
- Set aside until the cheese packages have finished frying.
- To serve, place 1 cheese package on a plate.
- Spoon some figs and drizzle some honey over the top of each cheese package.
- Sprinkle with black sesame seeds and serve immediately.