Recipe by chefchen
This is a quick and easy single serving recipe, which was shown as a clip on a local television broadcast. It is quick to make and uses ingredients that most people have at home. We tried it out right away and were impressed. I'm writing the basic recipe, but, of course, you can add more potatoes if you are really hungry or leave out the chili pepper (we did).
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 slice cooked ham
- 1 -2 slice cheese
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the potatoes. Slice them very thinly.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan (a stainless steel pan will do, too).
- Lay half of the potatoes in a spiral form in the pan, so that they overlap each other, like the petals of a rose. Make sure that the middle of the spiral is closed. Cook at medium heat for about 8–10 minutes. Do not stir them around. The starch of the potatoes should keep them together. Also check the edges of the potatoes. They shouldn't get brown to fast. (Adjust heat accordingly).
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- While the potatoes are browning, slice the ham and the cheese into 1 inch strips.
- First layer half of the cheese strips across the top of the potato rosette, then layer the ham. Finish off by topping the ham with the rest of the cheese. (The grandmotherly cook said, "the cheese acts as glue and helps hold the rosette together).
- Cover the potato rosette with the other half of the potatoes.
- Next, take a flat plate that fits into the pan, place it over the potato rosette so that the bottom of the plate is facing upwards, carefully turn the pan over, holding plate and pan, so that the potato rosette is now on the right side of the plate. (It sounds complicated, but is easy). Be careful and protect your hands with oven mitts, as some hot oil could spill out.
- The rosette should still be intact. Using a spatula, carefully slide the potato rosette back into the pan.
- Brown another 10 minutes or until the potatoes are done.
- Serve hot with a side of green salad.