Recipe by - Carla -
A scrumptious version of a classic Italian flatbread. Basic and delicious!
Top Review by mianbao
I made this today. The recipe was easy to follow and the bread simple to make. The bread did seem a little too salty and strongly flavored with garlic for my taste. I will decrease these ingredients when making it again. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us.
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 4 fresh sage leaves, torn
- 3 1⁄2 ounces kalamata or nicoise olives, pitted
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornflour
- salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir the yeast into a large mixing bowl with the water & let proof for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the olive oil, rosemary, sage, olives & garlic. Using a wooden spoon, mix in the flours & salt & stir until the dough is thick & smooth.
- Knead by hand for 8 to 10 minutes until the dough is firm & elastic. Set the dough in a lightly oiled container, cover with plastic wrap & let rise until doubled.
- Turn the dough onto an oiled 10 1/2" X 15 1/2" baking pan & stretch it to fit. If it won't fit, let it rest for 10 minutes & try again.
- Cover with a towel & leave until it has half risen, about 30 minutes.
- 30 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 400F.
- Just before baking, dimple the top of the dough with your fingerti ps & sprinkle with some extra salt & 2 tsp of oil.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden.
- Slide off baking sheet onto a rack & let cool for a few minutes before eating warm or at room temperature.
- VARIATION: Focaccia Dolce. Substitute 2 oz raisins & 1 oz pine nuts for the olives, herbs & garlic. Soak the raisins in warm water for 30 minutes before using & toast the pine nuts.