Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is good served on the side with a dal or curry, or as a finger food.
- 1 lb okra
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- salt, to taste
- fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- oil, sufficient for deep-frying
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chat masala (optional)
- cilantro, chopped
- Chop off the stem end of the okra, then, starting at the stem end, split each okra lengthwise until half an inch from the tip (do not cut all the way through).
- Mix together the egg, flour, salt, and pepper in a large bowl, and add the okra making sure they are well coated with the egg mixture (add another egg if needed).
- Heat oil to 375°F Roll okra in breadcrumbs until well-coated, add to oil and fry until crispy and golden brown - about 2 to 3 minutes per batch.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with garam masala, chaat masala and chopped cilantro, and serve.