Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from Everyday with Rachael Ray April 2008. It was under a special section of light foods so it should be healthier for you despite what Recipezaar may calculate. My recommendation for this recipe is instead of getting a whole chicken just get a package of mixed pieces of chicken or just drumsticks or whatever you prefer.
- Position 2 racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the potatoes into 1/3-inch-thick fries.
- Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, toss to coat, then arrange evenly.
- Bake in the upper third of the oven until crisp and golden, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove and discard the skin from the chicken, except for the wings.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg white until frothy.
- Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the bread crumbs, flour, Cajun seasoning, and paprika; season with salt.
- Coat chicken with the crumbs and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add 4 chicken pieces and cook, turning once, until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a clean baking sheet and repeat with the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and 4 pieces of chicken.
- On the bottom rack of the oven, bake the chicken until cooked through and crisp, about 22 minutes.
- Season the fries with salt and serve with the chicken.