1/1 Photo of Crispy Cheese – (A La Shady Glen)
Dorie's Lori's Note:
Too easy! One ingredient! This was inspired by the crispy cheese hanging off the renowned cheeseburgers at Shady Glen, the burger/dairy restaurant in Manchester, CT. In fact, I understand they used to sell just a basket of crispy cheese. I like to snack on it, but it would also make a terrific garnish for fancier soups, salads, etc. I have done this with Cheddar (my favorite), Jack, Parmesan and American, all with good results. On the one hand, it seems to be one of those “guilty pleasures.” On the other hand – read the last cooking note at the bottom... Added Note: Although I was inspired by Shady Glen, I just found out the Italians have been doing this for years, and it is called "Frico". Some versions are baked, and it can be molded while warm, say to make a dish to hold olives, or to eat like a taco or tortilla, or it can be used to garnish fancy salads and more.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat a nonstick frying pan on a medium-high heat.
- 2Place a single layer of cheese in the hot pan. It will melt and then become crispy.
- 3After it turns “golden” on one side, flip carefully with a spatula onto the other side.
- 4When golden, remove onto paper towels to blot the excess oil. (American cheese doesn't seem to need blotting.).
- 5I like to eat this dipped in ketchup.
- 7Sometimes, I just cook it on one side until brown, and don’t bother turning. It’s chewier that way, also terrific. (But don't blot the melted, unfried side.).
- 8Yes, this does seem a bit decadent. But, I usually make this with cheddar, and it really does seem like a Lot of the oil is left behind. It may be a bit delusional, but I am guessing we are frying some dairy protein, and this is actually healthier than eating plain cheese. What do you think?
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crispy Cheese – (A La Shady Glen)
Serving Size: 1 (28 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 93.8
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 18.1 mg
- Sodium 273.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 5.5 g