A good friend passed this recipe to me back in the early 80's. I was so impressed with the flavor and texture that I had to have the recipe. It taste and looks like whipped cream. "Give it a try and see if I lie." Please follow the directions...and it is regular granulated sugar...not powdered...=)
- Mix the first three ingredients together in a sauce pan.
- Cook over Medium heat until thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Cream sugar, shortening (margarine) and vanilla.
- Add cooled flour/milk mixture by the spoonful beating after each spoonful.
- Frost Cake.
I was intrigues by this recipe, so I had to try it. GREAT recipe, if you need frosting on the fly, with ingredients you keep on hand. I was surprised, and happy with the flavor, which was a lot like cool whip. I used this to frost Great Lemon Cake and it was the perfect compliment. It really does work, if you follow the directions, as written! Thanks for sharing, TeresaS.
Very nice, light, and fluffy frosting. We enjoyed this better than the store brands for sure! Made for PRMR!
Great frosting recipe. Whipped cream type frosting that isn't sickenly sweet as some are. I made this a few days ahead of the actual frosting of the cake and kept it refrigerated. Worked perfectly by letting it sit out at room temp for a few hours beforehand.