Recipe by Swan Valley Tammi
This recipe is from Company's Coming 'Weekend Cooking' cookbook and is actually designed for the fire pit, but I've adapted it for baking in the oven. Certainly not for those wishing to cut calories!!
- 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 slices bacon, cooked almost crisp and crumbled
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (I always use old)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- For outdoor cooking: Lay out 24" (60 cm) of heavy-duty tin foil (or double layers of regular foil). Layer first 6 ingredients down center of foil.
- Bring up all sides of foil around potato mixture to form a 'dish.'.
- Carefully pour whipping cream over potatoes. Cover with another piece of foil and seal edges.
- Wrap entire package in another layer of foil. Set on grill placed over hot coals in fire pit.
- Cook for about 50 minutes, turning carefully several times, until potatoes are tender. (Use oven mitts instead of tongs to avoid ripping the foil).
- Open package carefully to avoid steam burns. Serve.
- For oven: Layer first six ingredients in a greased 2 1/2 quart (3 L) casserole dish.
- Pour whipping cream over top. Cover and bake at 350F for about an hour or until potatoes are tender.