Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Rich mashed potatoes, delicately seasoned with aromatic garlic and onion. Based on a recipe from Sunset magazine.
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream or 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Peel potatoes, cut in chunks, cover with water and boil in a big pot about 15-20 minutes or until soft and will mash easily.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until soft- don't allow to brown or burn.
- Set aside.
- Drain potatoes and return to pan, add onion-garlic mixture and all other ingredients.
- Mash with potato masher for lumpier potatoes or use your mixer for smoother texture.
- Serve hot.
My family love these types of potato dishes Ive found here on Zaar. The added sour cream gives the dish a nice puffy texture and the garlic gives a little zing. I added some chopped chives for a little colour. Thanks for posting.
Excellent! Made it for Thanksgiving this year. Tasted even better the next day! I put a scoop of the potatoes in a french onion soup bowl with a large spoon full of gravey on top and baked it in the oven, delicious!
This recipe was really good. My son who is so picky, loved it. It really is creamy. It is definitely in my shared recipe file. Thank you.