Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Found in the magazine Delicious Living with some additions and modifications to the recipe. Two versions of this recipe were tested: one with no cream and the other with two teaspoons of whipped cream and the recipe was reduced by two thirds. I omitted the egg yolk completely in both versions. I used 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (or vanilla powder will also work). Walnut oil replaced flaxseed oil.
- 2 teaspoons grapefruit zest, finely grated (my addition)
- 2 ruby red grapefruits
- 1 egg yolks (can sub half and half, whipping cream or your favorite non-dairy substitute) or 2 tablespoons egg substitute (can sub half and half, whipping cream or your favorite non-dairy substitute)
- 3 tablespoons brown rice vinegar (can sub white balsamic, white wine vinegar, etc.)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika (I substituted Spanish smoked paprika and reduced the amount)
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and chopped into small pieces
- 1⁄3 cup flax seed oil
- Juice the two grapefruits.
- Transfer juice to a blender. Add the (egg yolk, egg substitute or cream if using), vinegar salt, pepper, paprika and vanilla bean (or extract/powder).
- Puree on high speed until vanilla bean is thoroughly blended.
- With the blender motor running, slowly add the oil.
- When the dressing is emulsified, strain into a small non-reactive bowl, discarding any vanilla bean debris if present.
- Stir in the zest.
- Can be refrigerated up to 1 week.
- Yield is estimated.