A friend of my mother's made this when I was younger. It was the BEST potato dish I'd ever had. Thirty years later - and lots of tinkering - I finally replicated it. Now my husband and kids are big fans, too. I hope your family enjoys this as much as we do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Butter 2.5 quart casserole dish and set aside.
- 3Bring 6 quarts of water to boil.
- 4Peel the potatoes, rinse them, then slip them into the boiling water. Cook them until they are easily pierced with a fork (around 15 minutes). Drain, return to pot and immediately mash with hand-masher or beater.
- 5While potatoes are cooking, melt 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, stir in the can of soup. Remove the pan from heat.
- 6Blend into soup mixture: sour cream, onion (reserve a few for garnish) and the shredded cheddar.
- 7Stir this soup mixture into the mashed potatoes.
- 8Pour it all into buttered 2.5 quart casserole.
- 9Mix cornflakes with melted 2 T. butter. Sprinkle on top of potatoes.
- 10Bake 45 minutes at 350.
- 11Sprinkle with reserved chopped green onions before serving.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy, Cheesy Potato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 727.6
- Calories from Fat 362
- Total Fat 40.2 g
- Saturated Fat 24.1 g
- Cholesterol 97.9 mg
- Sodium 687.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 18.6 g