Recipe by VenomousKate
A friend of my mother's made this when I was younger. It was the BEST potato dish I'd ever had. Thirty years later - and lots of tinkering - I finally replicated it. Now my husband and kids are big fans, too. I hope your family enjoys this as much as we do.
- 6 large potatoes
- 59.14 ml butter
- 304.75 g can cream of chicken soup
- 78.07 ml green onion, chopped
- 473.19 ml sour cream
- 354.88 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 236.59 ml crushed corn flakes
- 29.58 ml butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter 2.5 quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Bring 6 quarts of water to boil.
- Peel the potatoes, rinse them, then slip them into the boiling water. Cook them until they are easily pierced with a fork (around 15 minutes). Drain, return to pot and immediately mash with hand-masher or beater.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, stir in the can of soup. Remove the pan from heat.
- Blend into soup mixture: sour cream, onion (reserve a few for garnish) and the shredded cheddar.
- Stir this soup mixture into the mashed potatoes.
- Pour it all into buttered 2.5 quart casserole.
- Mix cornflakes with melted 2 T. butter. Sprinkle on top of potatoes.
- Bake 45 minutes at 350.
- Sprinkle with reserved chopped green onions before serving.